Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methenamine hippurate

Hello!

I have been having kidney stone/infection problems since my son was 6 months old. I have just recently cleared an infection I had for 3.5 months that wasn't responding to antibiotics. My doctors are having a sort of chicken and egg problem with the stones and infections and first thought stones were causing the infections but after being cleared of stones this spring are now considering the chronic infections to be the root problem. My doctor would like me to try Hiprex (methenamine hippurate) to see if it will work keeping infections at bay. He asked me to check my Medications and Mothers Milk and get back to him but I was unable to find this medication in it. I found a bit of information on LactMed which said it was ok but was wondering if you guys had an opinion.
    Other info: my son is 16 months old and nurses 5-7 times a day. He was term and is perfectly healthy. I have had several surgeries and been on several medications while nursing him and he's had no problems except for a yeast diaper rash from nitrofurantoin. I am otherwise healthy. I believe my dose would be 1g 2x per day. Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this drug!

Laura
    Last edited by MaddyRoseMama; 12-21-2012, 10:32 AM. Reason: misspelling in title

Dear Laura,

Methenamine (Hiprex) enters breastmilk in small amounts and appears to be compatible with breastfeeding. The breastfed infants studied showed no adverse effects. Since your child is older, the risk for this medication is low. It takes three to six hours for half of the medication to be eliminated from your system so avoiding breastfeeding during that time would also reduce the risk. Observe your child for vomiting.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X