Metronidazole and lansoprazole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metronidazole and lansoprazole

I have been prescribe 250mg of metronidazole twice a day and lansoprazole 30mg once a day for a stomach infection. My daughter is 21 months old and breastfeeds mairnly at night before bed and sometimes during the day..is it safe for her to feed while I'm taking these medications?

Mg88,

Metronidazole is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 12.6-13.5% of your dose. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Although, the relative infant dose via milk is moderately high depending on the dose and timing, it is still pertinent to remember that metronidazole is commonly used in premature neonates, infants, and children at much higher therapeutic dosages than those attained in milk. Thus far, virtually no adverse effects have been reported. Monitor the infant for dry mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in gastrointestinal flora, urine may turn brown, and rash.

Lansoprazole is rated an L2-no data-probably compatible. We have no data on the transfer of lansoprazole into human milk, but it is likely low. Other proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole are safe with minimal transfer to milk. Lansoprazole is probably safe. There should not be any severe adverse effects, possibly reduced stomach acidity in the infant.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X