Lamisil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamisil

Any info on Lamisil PO for nail fungus would be appreciated. I am an RN and have a client I'm working with who finally was able to produce enough for her baby (who is now 4 months old) but is being told she must wean if she wants to treat her nail fungus. From what I've found, the risk is relatively low to the infant, especially if the infant is over 2 months old. Her provider at this point will not prescribe the Lamisil unless she is done breastfeeding. She's going to discuss her options with her baby's doctor next week and look for a new primary doctor for herself, but in the mean time we're researching options to keep this mama breastfeeding! Thank you!

Cindy, RN, BSN

Cindy:

First, I assume this was ORAL, not topical. If topical, no problem at all. If oral ...

The amount of terbinafine (Lamisil) in milk is reported to be quite low(0.03% to 0.13% of maternal dose). That said, most of it will deposit in the skin and could last for a long time. In adults, it is hepatotoxic and requires testing the liver profile routinely.

I doubt the risks are major, but just how important is a nail fungus at this stage of lactation. Couldn't she wait.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

It's on most of her toenails and it's becoming painful. They want to do 6+ months of treatment and she's hoping to start trying for baby number 2 when this one is around 1. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Well, she got the definite "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" from her son's doctor. =(

Comment

Working...
        X