Avelox while nursing toddler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avelox while nursing toddler?

Is it safe to take Avelox (once a day for 10 days) while nursing a toddler (21 months old)? She nurses about 4-6 times a day, and is taking in other food and liquids as well. I am prone to chronic sinisitis, and am having a flare-up while traveling; avelox is the medication my doctor sent me with (albeit many months ago, I've been abroad about 5 months).

Miradan:

I think it is probably suitable to use Avelox (moxifloxacin) in your situation with a 21 month old infant. While we do not have any specific data on the transfer of moxifloxacin into human, we do have a lot of data on other fluoroquinolones. Most of them transfer in moderate amounts (approx 10 percent) without reported complications in the infant other than changes in gut flora and diarrhea. Because the volume of milk produced at this stage of lactation is low, it is probably suitable and safe to use this drug at this time.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thanks, I really appreciate the information.

Comment

I've tried topical metronidazole for some time and it's not helping. Do you think a 3-4wk course of oracea would be okay just to calm things down?

Comment

Dear narvo,

It is well-known that tetracyclines as a class tend to stain the teeth yellow after prolonged exposure. Doxycycline is the least staining of the tetracyclines, and short-term usage should be fine. Prolonged exposure may lead to impaired bone growth and increased likelihood of staining of your breastfed infant. Treatment for up to 3 weeks is acceptable in breastfeeding mothers. If you are being treated for rosacea, another medication that is topical that may be used is azelaic acid. Less than four percent of the dose is absorbed into the blood stream; therefore, limiting the amount that enters breastmilk. You may talk with your physician about this medication if you need long term treatment.

Sincerely,
          Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
          TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
          X