oracea (low dose doxycycline)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oracea (low dose doxycycline)

I have rosacea and my dermatologist recommended taking oracea (40mg doxycyline once daily) for 3 months. I'm nursing my 2 year old 2-3 times per day (probably pretty small volumes). Your 2010 book says 3-4 weeks of doxy is probably ok. Do you think a longer course of this lower dose doxy would be ok or should I stick with erythromycin (not studied for rosacea). Also am taking progestin-only mini-pill and doxy can decrease efficacy (again, would you worry at the lower dose?)
    Thanks!

Keltermd:

I would not suggest the use of doxycycline for this long a period, due to the risk of dental staining, even in your situation. I would suggest an alternative treatment for rosacea, and that is topical metronidazole, but this is something you'll have to discuss with your clinician. This preparation is virtually unabsorbed and would be quite safe in a breastfeeding mother.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

THanks for your reply. I've tried topical metronidazole for some time and it's not helping. Do you think a 3-4wk course of oracea would be okay just to calm things down?

Comment

Keltermd:

I think a 3 week course of doxycycline (Oracea) would be just fine. I would be hesitant to go longer.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X