Clindamycin High Dosage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clindamycin High Dosage

Dr prescribed higher dose of Clindamycin after needle aspiration of abscess today. I had been on 300 mg (4x/day) since last week for mastitis, but mastitis was worsening (hence the evaluation for abscess). He now wants me to continue at 600mg (4x/day) for the next 7 days.
    Is this dose safe? My daughter is 6 weeks.
    I am allergic to penicillin.

Thank you.

SBC77, thanks for posting,

Clindamycin is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 0.9-1.8% of your dose. A normal adult dose is 150-450mg every 6 hours. While you are on a higher dose at 600mg every 6 hours, only small amounts are transferred in the milk. Clindamycin is commonly used in pediatric patients at high doses, and the risk in breast milk is miniscule. We would recommend waiting 2 1/2 hours to breastfeed after a dose, at that point half the medicine is out of your system and this will reduce the amount the infant receives. Monitor the infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X