Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moxifloxacin and breastfeeding 3 month old

Hi,
    I've been prescribed moxifloxacin for a nasty breast abscess that is resistant to clindamycin and erythromycin (and I am penicillin allergic). The doctor has told me to stop breastfeeding whilst I am on the moxifloxacin (2 weeks). I would prefer to continue breast feeding if possible, at least some of the time (e.g. For night feeds, if I take my once daily dose in the morning). My baby is 3 months old and does already have a problem with a recurrent oral thrush infection.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Laura

Hi, thanks for your post.

Moxifloxacin is not very well studied in terms of breastfeeding safety. Other drugs in the same class seem to be fairly safe in this context. We give moxifloxacin a medium safety rating, mainly due to the lack of specific studies. An 8-hour delay between your dose and your feeding reduces the milk concentration by about 25%. Watch your baby for changes in his or her bowel habits.

We advise that you discard milk from the infected breast until you complete the antibiotic treatment.

Please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Alternatives

Thanks. The consultant had initially prescribed levofloxacin but it was not available at the pharmacy. Would it be preferable to the moxifloxacin for continued breast feeding?
      Laura

Comment

We regard levofloxacin as a safer alternative because it is better studied. In reality, they are probably about the same.

Comment

Working...
        X