Eye drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye drops

Hi, my baby girl is 6 weeks old and a week ago I found out I have a corneal ulcer and was told the drops I had to take were dangerous in breastfeeding and would have to stop. Panicked I have stopped breastfeeding but am expressing as much as I can to keep supply going and hope to return to it when treatment is over (approx 2 weeks time). They looked in the BNF Book which showed caution when breastfeeding. However, I have continued to ask questions and since the initial 'you must stop' I have been told mixed answers that it maybe ok to continue breastfeeding.

I have been prescribed and am taking ciprofloxacin eye drops 0.3% and Dexamethasone eye drops 0.1% both four times a day and at night I have to put in ciprofloxacin eye ointment.

I was hoping to get a definite answer whether these medications are ok to take and will not harm my baby so I can happily and not worryingly continue/start breastfeeding again knowing I am not putting my baby at any risk?

Thank you in advance

Hi, thanks for your post.

I'm sorry that you got mixed messages on this issue. When you take cipro or dexamethasone BY MOUTH you have to take some precautionary steps if you want to breastfeed. When you take them as eye drops, very, very little is absorbed into your bloodstream and milk levels are practically zero. As with all topical medications, be careful not to expose your baby directly to medication residues on your hands, skin, or clothing.

Please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question. (806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Thanks. Does that means I am safe to breastfeed with no risk to baby? Or would it be best to wait until I finish treatment?

Comment

It would be more accurate to say that the benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the risks of the incidental drug exposure. I advise that you breastfeed while undergoing treatment.

Comment

Working...
        X