List of Antibiotics safe for mother while nursing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Antibiotics safe for mother while nursing

I have been on Keflex several times over the past year while nursing for various skin infections. My doctors are worried that the bacteria (staph most likely) are getting resistant to Keflex. They have done a culture and are waiting for the results. If it is, I will need to switch antibiotics.

Is there a list of safe antibiotics while nursing? My son is 14 months. I want to be sure if the give me something else it is ok. They said with bactrim I'd have to pump and dump which I don't want to do.

Please help! I called the hotline and there is no answer!!!

Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your post.

We do not maintain a list of "safe" antibiotics because the issue of breastfeeding safety is more complicated than that. Your doctors should choose a medication that effectively treats your infection. We would be glad to discuss strategies for reducing the risk of whatever you are eventually prescribed.

I do not believe it is necessary to pump and dump on bactrim while feeding a 14 month old. Older children metabolize the two components in bactrim quite well. The amount present in breastmilk is far less than what is prescribed directly to infants for their own infections.

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X