Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acute UTI, rx: Cipro antibiotic

Mom has uti -cipro- nurses 3+yo toddler..help
    What about cipro 500mg/2xday being prescribed for uti...my son is 39 mo. And usually nurses 1-3x/day. Im nervous to take this drug but have had the infection since august. Any recommendations? i understand that probiotics taken by both of us could stave off some adverse reactions....thoughts?

Hi, thanks for your post.

Dr. Hale has commented on Cipro at the link below. The only thing I will add is that toddlers get much less milk relative to their body weights than an exclusively breastfeeding infant. The risk of having issues will be proportionately lower in your child.
    https://www.infantrisk.com/forum/showthread.php?824-Levaquin-amp-Cipro

As for the probiotics, it's a little difficult to say for sure if that will be helpful. The literature is pretty inconsistent about how effective they are in preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea. No good studies exist that would allow us to recommend one product or dosage over another. In total, our understanding is that the various species in probiotic supplements are definitely helpful and do good things in the gut to keep you healthy; it's just not clear that swallowing them in pill form is a good way to get them into your body. It is highly unlikely that using one of these supplements will do you or your child any harm, though.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X