X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    Mgx3

The only risk from doxycycline is following prolonged therapy, say more than 12 weeks. This includes some staining of teeth. But this is rare with doxy.

Many years ago, we believed Metronidazole was potentially mutagenic. Data from older studies with rats and mice have shown that metronidazole is potentially mutagenic/carcinogenic. Thus far, no studies in humans have found it to be mutagenic after man years.. In fact, the opposite seems to be the finding. Roe suggests that metronidazole is "essentially free of cancer risk or other serious toxic side effects." Age-gender stratified analysis did not reveal any association between short-term exposure to metronidazole and cancer in humans.

Its used by OB docs and pediatricians in infants all the time.

You must consider these rare, if even existent side effects, to the well known side effects of NOT breastfeeding. Believer me, these drugs are far safer than not breastfeeding your infant.

Tom Hale R.Ph., Ph.D.

Leave a comment:

• Mgx3
    replied
    Are there any things I need to look for in my infant? I’ve read a lot of different articles and a pharmacist gave me some information stating there wasn’t enough studies with breastfeeding moms taking these medications & continuing to breastfeed so they also suggested not to continue breastfeeding. I’m just very worried & scared to put my baby through anything that could potentially be harmful to her.

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Mgx3

You do not need to discontinue breastfeeding, as long as Doxycycline use does not exceed 3 weeks. Even the CDC approves use up to 3 weeks.
    Metronidazole is commonly used in breastfeeding mothers.

Tom Hale Ph.D
    Infantrisk Center

Leave a comment:

• Mgx3
    started a topic Doxycycline hyclate & MetroNIDAZOLE

Doxycycline hyclate & MetroNIDAZOLE

My doctor has prescribed me doxycycline hyclate 100mg twice a day for 14 days along with metroNIDAZOLE 500mg twice a day for 2 weeks & I’m currently breastfeeding my 4mo old who was born at 36 weeks. I was told I needed to discontinue breastfeeding while on these medications because it would transfer to my baby. I want to continue breastfeeding as my baby won’t take a bottle but I definitely don’t want to put her at risk towards anything.
Working...
X