Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulfamethizole

Hi
    I am an IBCLC and I received a question on the safety of breastfeeding during treatment with sulfamethizole. Though it is not within my scope of practice to give advice on whether or not to take the medication or even to safely continue breastfeeding, I usually help mothers find relevant information for them to discuss with their doctor.
    However, I can’t seem to find any information to pass on regarding this drug.
    Can you help?

This particular mom is breastfeeding a 3 year old child (which makes me think that i would be ok for her to continue), but for future references, I am qurious to know your thoughts on the safety of this drug in general?

[url]https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Sulfamethizole[/url]

Emilie:

the only real contraindication for using a sulfonamide such as this, is generally that it displaces bilirubin off its albumin binding site. Thus producing a lot of "free" bilirubin which increases the risk of kernicterus in a NEWBORN infant.

In an infant older than 6 weeks, there's really no risk to using a sulfonamide, other than unusual allergies to it.

Thus, the only real contraindication to its use is in a HYPERBILIRUBINEMIC infant.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
    X