antiviral dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antiviral dilemma

i was told i have shingles and must take acyclovir for a week. i was also told i can't breast feed. My baby is 8 months old and will not take formula, is there anything i can do? i don't want to quit breast feeding just yet. Please help..

Dear Brendah1,

Shingles or herpes zoster is spread through contact with the lesions. If the lesions are on only one breast, mother may continue breastfeeding on the unaffected breast while pumping and discarding on the affected breast. She should keep the affected breast covered and use meticulous hand washing with each breastfeeding session to decrease risk to the infant. If the lesions are on both breasts, she should pump and discard and give an alternative form of nutrition until the lesions are scabbed over (no longer infective). If the lesions are not on the breast, then the mother may breastfeed from both breasts while keeping the affected body area covered.

Acyclovir is used at high doses in infants all the time with only minor side effects. Its transfer into milk is relatively negligible.

Hope this helps!! For further questions, contact the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hello,

Purified Water is plays a major role to keep your body fit and healthy. For a healthy and balanced life, I am recommending you to drink as much as water you can drink in a day (minimum 8 glasses is medically recommended) and then see the results after some days.

WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION

Comment

Working...
      X