Macrobid and 3 week old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macrobid and 3 week old

Hello, I was prescribed Macrobid for a bad UTI that I contracted. When it was being prescribed to me I asked if it was compatible with breastfeeding and was told it was. I filled my prescription today and there is a warning label about breastfeeding and in the pamphlet it says it's not suggested for infants under one month (my son is 3 weeks and 3 days today). I am wondering if I should start this tonight and continue to nurse, or should I wait until Monday when I can talk to my GP or OB and see if there are any alternatives to it and hope it doesn't turn into a bad infection? I have talked to his pediatrician and they told me it "should" be fine, they didn't give me any reason why it wouldn't be except it might make my supply drop, which I haven't read anything about when trying to find info on this drug.
    Thank you.

Dear TinaT

Nitrofurantoin (macrobid) is an old urinary tract antimicrobial. Nitrofurantoin usage during breastfeeding is probably safe. Minimal levels are secreted into breast milk. Use with caution in infants with G6PD (Glucose 6- Phosphate Deficiency) or in infants less than 1 month of age with hyperbilirubinemia.

If your baby is G6PD free, and does not have hyperbilirubinemia then its probably okay.

Tassneem Abdel Karim MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X