X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    Vwing20,

Solosec (secnidazole) is rated an L4-No data-possibly hazardous. "Secnidazole is a -nitroimidazole antimicrobial similar to metronidazole and tinidazole and was recently released for a single dose treatment of bacterial vaginosis, anaerobic microorganisms, including amoebiasis, giardiasis, and trichomoniasis. At present no data are available on transfer into human milk. Should be similar to metronidazole. Manufacturer recommends delay of 96 hours for breastfeeding." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Leave a comment:

• Vwing20
    started a topic Solosec (Secnidazole)

Solosec (Secnidazole)

Hello, I was prescribed Solosec to treat bacterial vaginosis. I am currently breastfeeding a 2 month old infant. At the moment I am pumping breastmilk, and freezing it just in case I find out that it is safe to keep. I am feeding the baby formula until I get a clear answer. My obgyn said to continue to feed my baby when taking this medicine. When I called the pediatrician he said it was not safe. My lactation consultant said the medicine stays in the system for 17 hours. When I read the information about this medication it says not to breastfeed for 96 hours (4 days). Please advise thank you.
Working...
X