Jublia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jublia

Hi, I have been prescribed Jublia and Lamisil cream to treat a toe nail fungus - are these both safe while breastfeeding my 9-month old son? I currently do not have any pain on the infected toenails but one nail has mostly broken off. Is it better to just wait until my son and I are ready to finish breastfeeding? (My goal is one year so at least 3 more months but we may continue longer.) Thanks in advance for your time and help!

penguinmama,

Jublia (efinaconazole) is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. "Based on poor systemic absorption and low plasma concentrations with use in adults, significant levels of efinaconazole in human milk are not expected." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). We think topical use on your toenail is probably ok.

Lamisil is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. "Systemic absorption following topical therapy is minimal. In one study, the total excretion of terbinafine in breastmilk ranged from 0.13% to 0.03% of the total maternal dose respectively. Topical absorption through the skin is minimal." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). We think topical use on your toenail is probably ok.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X