Rifaximin/Linzess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifaximin/Linzess

I am currently nursing twins that are 4 months old and have been diagnosed with small intestinal overgrowth and IBS-C. The treatment for this is Rifaximin and based in the pharmacokinetics/dynamics it seems that this abx remains in the GI tract and is minimally absorbed systemically. My GI is unsure of the safety of this medication in breastfeeding and didn't want to prescribe it unless I was willing to pump and dump for 10 days. I would really prefer not to do this and am willing to delay treatment until the babies have weaned if necessary but would like to proceed if it is safe to do so. Is there any information about whether or not this is safe to use during nursing?

The other medication that they would like to start me on is Linzess (linactolide). Based on the studies done in their office I understand that systemic distribution is negligible and in many case undetectable. I am also inquiring whether this might be a safe drug to take or if I should also defer this until after weaning. I am currently taking lactulose and would really love to be able to stop taking it.

I plan on nursing for at least 18 months so it will be a while until the babies are weaned. Thank you

Kristen, CRNA

KKal:

Rifaximin is not even absorbed orally by you or your infant. I don't see any contraindication to breastfeeding.

See Below.

Tom Hale PH.D.

Rifaximin is a new antibiotic used for the treatment of traveler's diarrhea. It is poorly absorbed orally (<0.4%) and plasma levels are extremely low.[1] While we do not have data in breastfeeding mothers, it is unlikely enough would enter the maternal plasma compartment to produce clinically relevant levels in milk, or that any in milk would be orally absorbed by the infant.

Comment

Working...
    X