Is metronidazole safe for newborns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is metronidazole safe for newborns?

Hi, My wife had a caesarean section.Metronidazole 0.5g was intravenous for 4 days.Twenty-four hours later, we breastfed the baby.I'm not sure it's safe for the baby.Because I found that metronidazole is carcinogenic to animals.I'm worried about the health of the baby and my wife.Is there a clinical study to confirm the safety of metronidazole in infants?Will metronidazole affect my baby in the future? Now he is one year old.Will his future health be affected?Excuse me, can metronidazole have gene toxicity? Will it affect future children?

lilong313333,

We rate metronidazole an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 12.6--13.5% of moms dose. We think normal doses of 500mg ( 0.5gm) 2-3 times a day for up to 10-14 days is probably ok. For large 2gm doses we do recommend waiting 12-24 hours to nurse. Since your wife waited 24 hours close to 87% of that medication is gone out of the breast milk at that time, Monitor for dry mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in gastrointestinal flora, urine may turn brown, rash. "Data from older studies with rats and mice have shown that metronidazole is potentially mutagenic/carcinogenic. Thus far, no studies in humans have found it to be mutagenic. In fact, the opposite seems to be the finding.[10,11,12] Roe suggests that metronidazole is 'essentially free of cancer risk or other serious toxic side effects'.[12] Age-gender stratified analysis did not reveal any association between short-term exposure to metronidazole and cancer in humans.[11]" (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

10.##Falagas ME, Walker AM, Jick H, Ruthazer R, Griffith J, Snydman DR. Late incidence of cancer after metronidazole use: a matched metronidazole user/nonuser study. Clin Infect Dis 1998; 26(2):384-388.
    11.##Fahrig R, Engelke M. Reinvestigation of in vivo genotoxicity studies in man. I. No induction of DNA strand breaks in peripheral lymphocytes after metronidazole therapy. Mutat Res 1997; 395(2-3):215-221.
    12.##Roe FJ. Toxicologic evaluation of metronidazole with particular reference to carcinogenic, mutagenic, and teratogenic potential. Surgery 1983; 93(1 Pt 2):158-164.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk center
    806-352-2519
    Last edited by Sandra; 05-29-2018, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.I want to know if metronidazole will persist in the body?Will this drug have a lasting effect after complete metabolism in the body?Or drug metabolism after the end of no longer need to worry about carcinogenicity?I also want to know if the use of metronidazole now affects a baby after 1 year.Because I still want a baby, but I'm worried about the long-term effects of metronidazole.

Comment

Lilong311111

Most of us don't really believe it is carcinogenic in humans. Its used all the time in children and adults. I'd stop worrying about it. These OLD studies were poorly done in animals, not humans.

Tom Hale pH.d.

Comment

Thank you professor.Can I ask you one more question?Does metronidazole affect the second fetus?When can I get pregnant again?

Comment

lilong: No, it won't have any effect of either fetus. You don't need to worry about this drug at all.

Tom Hale PH.d.

Comment

Thank you professor.I think I have anxiety.I always feel metronidazole in my children.Because I'm so worried about the side effects.Can the side effect of metronidazole disappear with drug metabolism?I'm afraid there are unconfirmed side effects.Can drug metabolism eliminate cancer risk?
              Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Working...
              X