Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

metronidazole vaginal gel 0.75% for 6 month old baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metronidazole vaginal gel 0.75% for 6 month old baby

My baby is 6 months old and I was prescribed 0.75% metronidazole vaginal gel for five nights to treat my bacterial infection. Is it safe to continue breastfeeding while on this medication? I see two nurse practitioners, and both of them prescribed the same medicine. One strongly suggest me stop breastfeeding while I'm using the medicine. Another one said it's totally fine. So I am very nervous to take it. Besides, is there any other natural way to treat the bacterial infection, so I might be able to avoid using the 0.75% metronidazole vaginal gel? Thank you so much.

smhs: metronidazole vaginal gel is only about 2% absorbed vaginally. Therefore, I doubt there is any major risk to the breastfed infant. We use it all the time in pediatrics anymore.

Lastly, there are few alternatives, such as clindamycin. I would not waste my time on natural remedies.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thanks so much for your nice reply. I have another concern. My baby has eczema. Will this medicine make his eczema worse?

Comment

smhs,

It is unlikely to cause your infant to have an eczema flair up with this medication as very little is absorbed with topical use, plus I cannot find anything saying metro gel is a known trigger.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X