Early breastfeeding and tamiflu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early breastfeeding and tamiflu

I was diagnosed with influenza A the same day I delivered my daughter. I took one dose of tamiflu while pregnant and they want me taking the rest of the 5 day course after delivery while breastfeeding. I know there is a study stating that the amount of tamiflu that a breastfeeding infant would receive is subclinical, but I also know that during the start of breastfeeding more meds can pass through because of larger openings to allow more antibodies to pass to baby in the colostrum. Could my daughter then be exposed to a larger dose of tamiflu? I know they also say it is ok to give infants older than 2 weeks. I'm nervous my newborn could be getting to much? Thank you in advance for you advice on this.

KarieR,

The amount of Tamiflu that passes into breast milk is only 0.47% of your dose. We do not know how much more transfers into the colostrum, but even if it doubled it would still be less than 1%. We think it is still ok to nurse as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor for vomiting and diarrhea. It has been recently recommended for use in breastfeeding mothers by the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you Sandra. I am also wondering about guaifenesin and breastfeeding. My midwife had said it was safe with breastfeeding and I've been taking the 600mg dose every 12 hours for at least the last 5 days. Now that I look up recommendations for it here it seems it is not recommended? I have had trouble expectorating with this flu and the Mucinex has helped me I think. I know they don't know how much is excreted in breast milk but I have read that they don't know how much Dextromethorphan is either but that is listed as L1 yet guaifenesin is L3. Is that because they don't think guaifenesin actually works? My baby is a newborn so perhaps cannot process this medication as well. From what I've read they say likely safe in infants over 2 months. Now I am very worried I could have damaged her kidneys or hurt her in some way? She seems fine but I wonder if problems wouldn't show up until later?

Comment

KarieR,

Guaifenesin is rated an L3- no data probably compatible. We do not know how much transfers into breast milk. We think short term use is probably ok. We do recommend keeping the dose low so 600mg or less, and waiting 2-3 hours to nurse after a dose. It has a short half-life of about an hour. Monitor for sedation.

Dextromethorphan is also an L3-no data-probably compatible. We do not know how much transfers into breast milk. we think short term use of this is also ok. Wait 2-3 hours to nurse and monitor for sedation.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X