X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    Andreea:

The amount of chloramphenicol present in your plasma compartment follow ophthalmic use will be exceedingly low, probably undetectable. I think I'd take your doctors advice, use the Chloramphenicol and not worry about its transfer into your milk. It would be far too low to produce complications.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Leave a comment:

• Andreea
    started a topic Chloramphenicol eye drops

Chloramphenicol eye drops

Dear all,
    I understand that systemic Chloramphenicol is not a good choice for a breastfeeding mother, as the risk of side effects in the breastfed infant is independent of the dose of exposure. But what about eye drops?
    I am breastfeeding a 14 months old baby. I underwent an eye surgery 10 days ago and have received eye drops with 2 antibiotics (moxifloxacin and tobramycin). Since my eye secretions are still yellow-greenish, the doctor suggested that I take chloramphenicol eye drops (4 times a day - 10 days). Is there a way that I can reduce the exposure of the baby to this drug, based o the half-life of the drug? Or I should avoid breastfeeding at all costs?
    I am also taking a course of Cefuroxime 500 mg every 12 hours, 7 days for a sinus infection / pharyngitis. In the following 3 weeks I will also continue the treatment with tobramycin+dexamethasone (eye doprs, commercial European name - Tobradex), gradually reducing it. So the treatment with Chloramphneicol eye drops will overlap with Cefuroxime and tobramycin+dexamethasone,
    Thank you! Best regards
Working...
X