perscribed flagyl BF my 2 week old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perscribed flagyl BF my 2 week old

Today i was prescribed flagyl 500 mg twice a day x 7 days for a vaginal bacterial infection. ny son is 2 weeks old today. i havwnt started pumping ywt and have takwn 2 doses and am now reading i shoukd not take it while BF. because its not safe. any real answers?
    my mudwife put me on it via a message from her MA and KNOWS im BF.

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I'm very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel on the world.
    Last edited by Vin Diesel; 12-17-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

flagyl & breastfeeding...?

sosobraebrae did you ever find a solid answer about flagyl and breastfeeding? I'm in the same situation. Had my 6 week post partum checkup yesterday with my midwife and I have bacterial vaginosis. she gave me an all natural remedy but also prescribed flagyl in case i needed it. stupid me, when I got home i just decided to start taking the flagyl and took 2 doses yesterday. Then I researched more about the drug and breastfeeding and I don't want to take it anymore (and from what I have found, it looks like all natural remedies are even more effective) I feel dumb because I know it's not smart to start antibiotics & not finish them but hoping since I only took 2 doses it won't be too big of a deal...I'm more worried about my baby & him getting the drug through my breastmilk. If anyone has any insight to this, I would really appreciate it!

Comment

Taylor:

About 12-13% of the maternal dose is transferred via milk to the infant. We use much higher doses all the time "directly" in infants, so the amount in milk is quite small in comparison. The only problem is that sometimes metronidazole imparts a "metallic" taste to some mothers milk and some babies don't care for that.

But it is safe to use in a breastfeeding mother. We have at least 9 studies in breastfeeding infants, and they were fine.

As for treating vaginosis with something else, I seriously doubt ANY herbal product is as good as metronidazole for bacterial vaginosis. I'd urge you to continue using the Flagyl.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X