X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    LymeMAMama,

Three weeks of doxycycline is what we normally recommend, but 4 weeks is the maximum time to use this medication. Prolonged use can cause teeth staining and impaired bone growth. Your child is older and probably not getting a lot of milk at this time so 4 weeks is probably acceptable. Monitor your child for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush. With Lymes disease the antigenic material from the spirochete is found in human milk, although we do not know if it is infectious. To be safe since the spirochete antigen has been found in breast milk, breastfeeding should be withheld until treatment with an appropriate antibiotic is instituted. Once treatment is initiated, breastfeeding may be resumed. (InfantRisk Center database, Dr Thomas Hale)

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Leave a comment:

• LymeMAMama
    started a topic 30 Day Doxycycline and nursing toddler?

30 Day Doxycycline and nursing toddler?

I was just diagnosed with Lyme, which they believe I have had for about 4-6 months. So I am concerned both about possible transmission (although my child's pediatrician assures me it isn't possible) and also now about nursing while on doxycycline. I have heard Dr. Hale say it is safe up to 3 weeks, but they are putting me on a 30 day dose- would it continue to be safe? Or should I just slowly wean during the first few weeks and be done?

Thank you!
Working...
X