Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To DrHale arcoxia 120

Dr Hale 2 questions please.
    1. Is it ok arcoxia 120? I have to take it for 15 days- a month and doctor says that is not compatible and I have to not breastfeed.
    2. I will have a tomography. Is it safe for my baby to use xenetix 300? Thank you

ps. My baby is 8 months
    Last edited by desdes; 07-10-2014, 09:14 AM.

Hi, thanks for your post.

Dr. Hale and I have discussed this question. There are no studies available about how Arcoxia (etoricoxib) transfers into breastmilk. We have good studies about similar drugs like celecoxib that show it does not transfer into breastmilk very much. It is reasonable to assume that Arcoxia behaves the same way. We believe that it will be safe to breastfeed on this medication. You should watch your baby for vomiting, cramping, or diarrhea. These symptoms could be a sign that he or she is having problems with exposure to the drug.

Xenetix should be safe for breastfeeding. This molecule goes into breastmilk in very small amounts and is absorbed by the baby is even smaller amounts. Just to be safe, you should pump and discard your milk 2 hours after the procedure, then go back to regular breastfeeding.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

The following references may be useful to your physician if he or she needs more information:

1. Knoppert DC, Stempak D, Baruchel S, Koren G. Celecoxib in human milk: a case report. Pharmacotherapy 2003; 23(1):97-100.
    2. Hale TW, McDonald R, Boger J. Transfer of celecoxib into human milk. J Hum Lact 2004 Nov; 20(4):397-403.
    3. Gardiner SJ, Doogue MP, Zhang M, Begg EJ. Quantification of infant exposure to celecoxib through breast milk. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2006; 61(1):101-104.

Comment

Hi Dr Hale and James,
      I wondered if you have any more recent views or data on the use of Arcoxia in the immediate PP period. It has become very popular here (Hawkes Bay, New Zealand) for women as a post C/S analgesia - used for 4-6 days. Our Pharmacy Department has very little data regarding this drug..

Comment

dugb:

Arcoxia (etoricoxib) is not available in the USA. That said, its similar to all the other Cox2 inhibitors. I really doubt it would enter milk in clinically relevant amounts. I published a study on celecoxib and the levels in milk were miniscule.

As of now, I cannot find any data on its use postpartum and its levels in breastmilk.

I do not think it would be overly dangerous when only used for 4-6 days early posttpartum.

All the hysteria over its use and an elevated risk of cardiovasular disease, requires months of continuous therapy, and then the is risk still quite low.

Tom Hale Ph.D.
        InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X