Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxycodone use while breastfeeding a young infant (and withdrawal symptoms)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxycodone use while breastfeeding a young infant (and withdrawal symptoms)

I am 10 days post c-section. I now have a large seroma under my incision that has caused considerable discomfort and I will be getting a wound vac placed tomorrow. I am prescribed 5-10 mg of oxycodone every 6 hours. I would say I have averaged 20-30mg/day. Never more than that. And this will certainly be short-term. I am wondering if the 30 mg/day is safe for such a young infant now that my milk has come in fully (I do watch for sedation and so far he seems unaffected). And also, will he suffer from withdrawal symptoms if this amount is continued for another week give or take a few days?

Belle 14,

Oxycodone is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 1.5-3.5% of your dose. It is probably ok, but we do recommend not exceeding 30mg in 24 hours, take it right after breastfeeding and wait at least 2 hours to feed again. Monitor your infant for sedation, poor feedings, slowed breathing rate, apnea and constipation. Just reduce the amount you are taking slowly over the next week or so and both of you should do fine.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Cenet
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X