Anesthesia and narcotics post hip replacement and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anesthesia and narcotics post hip replacement and Breastfeeding

I am a 32 year old Mother of a five month old baby girl and scheduled to have a total joint replacement in my hip next month. I am wondering about the possible affects of anesthesia(general or spinal) after the initial surgery, as well as taking narcotic painkillers afterwards, possibly a few days to a week. Which Narcotic would be the most benign for my baby? And how long should I wait before nursing after I have stopped taking the drugs? I have never used opiates or narcotics before so i understand a small dose will be effective but I am not sure of the dosing as of yet. I just want to know how to protect My baby from any adverse effects. I am stockpiling milking the freezer to feed her but am not sure how long to plan for as far as waiting for the drugs to pass through my system.
    Thank you!

Lizablue,

The most common anesthesias used in surgeries are fentanyl, versed and propofol. If these medications are used we recommended waiting 4 hours after procedure to breastfeed providing you are fully awake at that time and your infant does not have a history of apnea. As far as pain meds are concerned Norco or Percocet are probably ok, these are commonly given to C-section moms. We recommend waiting about 2-3 hours after a dose to breastfeed, and do not exceed 40mg of the narcotic portion of either of these meds. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, apnea, and constipation. If your Dr gives you any different meds please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 to discuss them.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X