Carbocaine and neocobefrin for dental procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbocaine and neocobefrin for dental procedure

I need to have a dental crown repaired, and my dentist has offered either straight carbocaine 3% or carbocaine 2% with neocobefrin. I am exclusively breastfeeding my 2 month old. Is it safe for me to have the procedure done now, or should I put it off until she is older? How long would I need to stop breastfeeding after the procedure? Which medication is the safer choice?

Ajones, thanks for posting,

Carbocaine is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. We do not know exactly how much transfers into breast milk, but [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]its structure is practically identical to bupivacaine and one would expect its entry into human milk is similar and low (less than 1%). Carbocaine has a short half-life of 1.9-3.2 hours, and effects stay mainly local. We do not have the neo-cobefrin in our data base, but looking at Dailymed it appears to be similar to epinephrine so probably ok, but no evidence to support this so if given the choice I would recommend the carbocaine 3%. By the time you finish with your dental appointment half of the medicine will probably already be out of your plasma and milk compartment. I hope this helps. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X