Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Carbocaine and neocobefrin for dental procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbocaine and neocobefrin for dental procedure

I need to have a dental crown repaired, and my dentist has offered either straight carbocaine 3% or carbocaine 2% with neocobefrin. I am exclusively breastfeeding my 2 month old. Is it safe for me to have the procedure done now, or should I put it off until she is older? How long would I need to stop breastfeeding after the procedure? Which medication is the safer choice?

Ajones, thanks for posting,

Carbocaine is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. We do not know exactly how much transfers into breast milk, but [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]its structure is practically identical to bupivacaine and one would expect its entry into human milk is similar and low (less than 1%). Carbocaine has a short half-life of 1.9-3.2 hours, and effects stay mainly local. We do not have the neo-cobefrin in our data base, but looking at Dailymed it appears to be similar to epinephrine so probably ok, but no evidence to support this so if given the choice I would recommend the carbocaine 3%. By the time you finish with your dental appointment half of the medicine will probably already be out of your plasma and milk compartment. I hope this helps. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X