Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking valium and tramadol shortterm whilst breastfeeding - advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking valium and tramadol shortterm whilst breastfeeding - advice please!

I have hurt my back badly and have been prescribed diazapam and tremadol. The previous medication of Ibuprofen and cocodamol, which I was taking for the previous 2 days, were not working and I am in serious pain.

I have been prescribed diazepam (valium) (5mg tablet times per day) and tremadol (50mg tablet up to 8 per day, but only taken one so far). I am worried about the effect on my breastmilk. My doctor reassured me that the quantities passed to my 6 month old will be negligible and given the severity of the backpain this is the best solution. My baby is breastfed and on some solids.

I am planning to only take these for 2 or 3 days. What affect if any will this have on my baby? Should I avoid these altogether? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Maz:

About 1.0 to 2.8% of the Tramadol dose will enter milk. This is generally too low to cause any problems at all.

As for Diazepam, about 0.8% - 7.1% of your dose will enter milk. This too is pretty low. Just watch your infant for sedation. If so, you might want to back off some of your doses.

Its unlikely these will affect your infant, particularly at 6 months of age.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Dear Tom, Thank you so much for the prompt reply. That is extremely useful. I am going to keep taking the medication but for as short a period as possible. I really appreciate your help. Many thanks. Marianne

Comment

Working...
      X