Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxycodone use while breastfeeding

Dear Dr. Hale,

I am prescribed 10 mg oxycodone for back injuries due to a car accident. I am currently exclusively breastfeeding a 9 month old. I would like some information on the use of this medicine while breastfeeding. I will only take this medicine at night after my baby is down for the night. She sleeps through the night so the next time I breastfeed her is 10-12 hours after my dose. The dosage would be 2 10 mg oxycodone. I would only take this amount at this time daily. Would this be safe? Is she going to become dependent? What should I do?

Thank you,

Breastfeedingmom30

Hi, thanks for your post.

Oxycodone has a 6 hour half-life in adults. That means that waiting 12 hours after your dose has reduced your blood levels of oxycodone by 75%. We know that only about 2% of your daily oxycodone dose gets into the milk if you breastfeed every couple hours the way you would with an infant. So that means we have a dose of 20mg x 2% x 75% = no more than 0.3mg of oxycodone getting to the baby. It is highly unlikely that she would exhibit any side effects or dependance from this level of exposure.

For anyone reading this, please post again or call us at the InfantRisk Center, (806)352-2519, if this has not completely answered your question. I would also appreciate you filling out a 2 minute survey about your time on the forum:

https://tthsclubbock.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bJzhyKVSivVkQZL&Counselor=Web

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X