Extended Norco 10/325

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Norco 10/325

Hi. I am 10 weeks Postpartum - I took this dose of norco for 4 weeks after I gave birth (about one a day) for a tear, and breastfeed the whole time. Stopped for 3 weeks.

3 weeks ago, I had a severe gallbladder attack, and was once again put on Norco until I have my gallbladder taken out in a couple of weeks. I'm again taking about one a day, and breastfeeding.

My concern is - even though I'm only taking one pill a day on average, am I going to have problems with the baby going through withdrawals? How do I handle that? My surgery is two weeks from today, and I imagine being on medication until then and then possibly up to a week after at least... so that's about 6 weeks of one norco a day. I try to give her formula after I've taken my pill, and abstain from breastfeeding for four hours. Should I be concerned with withdrawal?

Hi, thanks for your post.

Norco is a combination of hydrocodone and acetaminophen (Tylenol). Hydrocodone takes about an hour to get completely into your bloodstream after you take your pill. Every four hours, half of what is in your blood (and milk) is eliminated. The baby gets only about 3% of the mother's daily dose, assuming that he/she exclusively breastfeeds on a regular schedule. Since you are taking only one pill per day, the chances of problems with the baby are low. You can reduce the baby's exposure to hydrocodone (below that 3%) by feeding/pumping just before you take your pill or within 30min after. It should not be necessary to wait the four hours on this dosage, but that can be your next step if you are having problems. Watch your baby for excessive sleepiness or constipation; these are the symptoms of hydrocodone exposure. The chances of your baby having significant withdrawal problems without first having had those other symptoms is practically zero.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD
    Last edited by admin; 10-17-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Im new to this forum and I had eight question regarding Norco. Im 4.5mo pp and I developed an excruciating pain in my t-area and MRI showed a collapsed disc. I was given 5/325 Norco and I take one per day and sometimes I take 2 days off so I would not grow dependent to it. I do fully bf my infant and I am terrified that it can cause problems in him. I usually pump & dump after 4 hours. And then pump after another 4 hrs and save that milk. What are the chances of my infant having dependence on it? It seems like I might be taking this med for a while and i dont wNt to stop bf'ing.

Comment

As I said in the previous post, the chances of your baby becoming dependent on hydrocodone, by which I mean suffering withdrawal symptoms on discontinuation, are fairly low. If it is going to happen, you will first see some signs of excessive sleepiness or constipation. Your current plan is OK, but it's probably not necessary to dump the 4 hr milk. If you are still worried about it, then mix the 4 and 8 hr milk together to spread the exposure out.

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
        X