Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Intractible Migraines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intractible Migraines

Hi I am taking care of a 2 month old, his mother is taking the following medications for migraines, anxiety and ADHD:
    Imitrex 100 mg twice a week, Percocet 20 per month, Firocet 20 per month, Wellbutrin 300 mg daily, Ritalin 10 mg daily, Lorazepam 0.5 mg twice a week, and Ibuprofen as needed.

Her prescribing neurologist is very concerned about the additive effect of all these medications on the baby through her breast milk.

Is there any guidance I can give her neurologist or the mother?

There is some discussion about Topomax as a preventative, I was wondering your thoughts on this?
    Thanks
    Lauren

Laurenl:

The only two that would be additive are Percocet (oxycodone+acetaminophen) and Lorazepam, and maybe Fioricet (butalbital + acetaminophen). This dosing sounds like them mom takes them randomly, and only occasionally, and maybe not all together at the same time. If so, I suggest the mom not take the three above all at the same time and breastfeed.

If she can space these out so that she's not taking them simultaneously, I think the infant will do just fine. This is ASSUMING that the infant is full term, health, and does not have apnea?

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X