Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ingrown Toenail removal and breastfeeding? Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingrown Toenail removal and breastfeeding? Options?

Good Morning! What is the safest treatment option for an ingrown toenail while breastfeeding at 3 months postpartum? Is removal with local anesthetic and phenol safe while breastfeeding? Thank you

ebowie:

This is beyond my skill level and I'd suggest you talk with a podiatrist about suitable options. I would not suggest Phenol, but if it is used, you probably need to pump and discard milk for 24 hours.
    If Lidocaine or bupivacaine is used, then a brief 12 hour delay is probably ok.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you so much. I am seeing my podiatrist now and will know what he recommends. I appreciate the quick reply. Thank you

Comment

I am getting 4 cc of lidocaine for numbing and then nail removal. Is pumping and dumping for 12 hours needed? Thanks

Comment

I generally suggest that as soon as pain returns to the treated site, you can start breastfeeding again. This indicates that all has been absorbed and rapidly cleared.
          I think this is the best advice for you. wait until pain returns to restart breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Wonderful thank you so much. I will wait until I can feel pain again. I appreciate your guidance.

Comment

Working...
            X