Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Ingrown Toenail removal and breastfeeding? Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingrown Toenail removal and breastfeeding? Options?

Good Morning! What is the safest treatment option for an ingrown toenail while breastfeeding at 3 months postpartum? Is removal with local anesthetic and phenol safe while breastfeeding? Thank you

ebowie:

This is beyond my skill level and I'd suggest you talk with a podiatrist about suitable options. I would not suggest Phenol, but if it is used, you probably need to pump and discard milk for 24 hours.
    If Lidocaine or bupivacaine is used, then a brief 12 hour delay is probably ok.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you so much. I am seeing my podiatrist now and will know what he recommends. I appreciate the quick reply. Thank you

Comment

I am getting 4 cc of lidocaine for numbing and then nail removal. Is pumping and dumping for 12 hours needed? Thanks

Comment

I generally suggest that as soon as pain returns to the treated site, you can start breastfeeding again. This indicates that all has been absorbed and rapidly cleared.
          I think this is the best advice for you. wait until pain returns to restart breastfeeding.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Wonderful thank you so much. I will wait until I can feel pain again. I appreciate your guidance.

Comment

Working...
            X