Oxycodone 5-325 and Breastfeeding 7-Month-Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxycodone 5-325 and Breastfeeding 7-Month-Old

Hi there. I recently had open heart surgery and have been doing lots of pumping and dumping due to pain meds and other meds I was on after my preocedure. I was admitted back to hospital last week due to severe pain that was determined as pericarditis. I am taking half of an Oxy 5, so only 2.5mg, about every 6-8 hours or so. I have been told so many conflicting things from pharmacists and docs, that I have stuck with the most extreme regulations, which is no breastfeeding until off of the medication for 24hrs. Am I able to feed my son any sooner than that? I’m getting anxious because my frozen milk supply is nearly gone. My husband won’t let me sacrifice my pain for breastfeeding our son...I tried. Haha.

Thank you in advacne.

oOrachelle:

2.5 mg doses of Oxycodone is really quite small, and the amount in milk is unlikely to affect a 7month old infant. I'd suggest you take the med, wait 3 hours or so and go ahead and breastfeed. Watch your infant for sedation, but I really doubt you'll see anything at all.

Older infants are far more capable of handling small levels of drugs than newborns.

Good Luck

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X