Phenazopyridine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenazopyridine

A month and a half ago I had an urine infection, which was treated with antibiotics. The infection is gone, but the bladder is still inflammed and the discomfort is very difficult to bear. Ibuprofen and paracetamol haven’t worked. The doctor suggests to wean my son (8 months) and take (phenazopyridine. I really don’t want to wean him now and I would like to know 1. if I can take it while breastfeeding 2. if not, how long after taking this drug could I resume breastfeeding, 3 if not, could you suggest an alternative Treatment, compatible with breast-feeding? Thank you

Irenemama:

This is from my database:

Phenazopyridine hydrochloride is an azo dye that is rapidly excreted in the urine, where it exerts a topical analgesic effect on urinary tract mucosa. Pyridium is mild to moderately effective and produces a reddish-orange discoloration of the urine. It may also discolor and ruin contact lenses and clothing. It is not known if pyridium transfers into breastmilk; however, it probably does enter milk to a limited degree based on its oral bioavailability and small size. Due to this product's limited efficacy it probably should not be used in lactating women, although it is unlikely to be harmful to infants.

I'm sorry, but I can't give you any better answer than above. If you decide to breastfeed, it will probably discolor your infants urine. IF you don't see any change in color, then its not getting to your milk or infant.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Working...
    X