Methergine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methergine

Hi, I am inquiring regarding Methergen use guidelines. I am working as an RN, IBCLC on a maternity floor in the Sountheast. Recently my hospital and Corporate have been enforcing protocol that does not allow mothers who were given Methergen to breastfeed for 12 hours. I am hoping that you can provide guidance/research regarding Methergen amounts passed through breastmilk from mother to baby.This is obviously not ideal as we are hoping to assist in breastfeeding as soon as possible after birth.This will result in an increase in formula use due to the inability to breastfeed for such time periods.Please let me know if you need additional information.

Noreen Webb,

Methergine is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is only 0.72-5.46% of the mothers dose. We believe with this low transfer rate it is safe for mothers to nurse especially in the colostrum phase when the infant is getting such a low volume of milk. Product labeling in the US recommends waiting 12 hours to nurse after the last dose of Methergine most likely based on unpublished adverse effects in breastfed infants when the mothers were treated with Methergine for several days. Short term use especially in the colostrum phase is not expected to transfer clinically relevant amounts to the breastfed infant or cause any adverse effects. We still recommend monitoring the infant for vomiting, diarrhea, agitation and tachycardia. Prolonged use may also suppress the mothers milk production.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X