Oxycodone prolonged intake and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxycodone prolonged intake and breastfeeding

I've taken oxycodone-acetaminophen 5-325 (plus 400mg of iboorufen) every 4-6h from November 12th to December 8th (every 4h in the last days)
    I was avoiding breastfeeding and stopped it one week after I started taking this medication, but my daughter still asks for it and didn't meant to wean her abruptly
    How long should I wait to restart breastfeeding after stopping oxycodone? I am still taking iboorufen but her doctor said it's ok.

Thank you!

Vania,

If you are stopping the medication you should be ok to nurse after a few hours. The half-life of oxycodone is 2-4 hours. If you want it to be completely out wait 5-6 half lives which would be anywhere from 12-24 hours. We think taking oxycodone is probably ok for short term use. We recommend that you do not exceed 30mg in 24 hours while nursing a younger infant and no more than 40mg in older infants. We recommend taking the medication right after nursing where you have a break before nursing again to avoid the peak time. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, pallor, difficulty feeding, constipation and apnea.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X