Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Relaxants

Dr. Hale,

I am currently dealing with chronic pain in my neck and shoulder. I am doing physical therapy and my doctor was interested in prescribing muscle relaxants however, because I am breastfeeding he was not comfortable doing so. I am currently nursing my nearly 3yo and 11mo. Both children are healthy and on no medications.
    I am looking for advice on which drugs may or may not be safe. For example, Soma is better than Skelaxin or diazepam is safer than zanaflex. Can you make specific recommendations that I might discuss with my doctor? I have only used flexeril in the past and it has not worked for me.

Thank you.

sarahjayjones,

We would probably recommend the Soma, Skelaxin or Robaxin.

Soma is rated an L2 limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 0.5-6.41% of your dose. Monitor for sedation, vomiting, hiccups, weakness.

Skelaxin is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. We do not know how much transfers into breast milk, but we think this one is less sedating then some of the others. Monitor for sedation, vomiting, gastrointestinal upset.

Robaxin is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. We do not know how much transfers into breast milk, but this one has a short half-life of just 2 hours, so it is easy to work around that time. Monitor for sedation and vomiting.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X