Shingles while breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shingles while breastfeeding

Hi, My baby is 14 months old and healthy. I have Fibro and take Tramadol as needed for the pain. I have come down with shingles and I am in pretty intense pain, the Tramadol is not cutting it. I am going to the Dr. and I am pretty sure they will give me an anti viral and a pain med. Is there an anti viral that is most compatible for breastfeeding? And how about a stronger pain med, probably Vicodin. I only nurse at nap and night time at this point but she does not seem interested in weaning anytime soon, do you think i should continue to feed through treatment? Thank you so much for your input.

OCChick,

Acyclovir or valacyclovir are both considered safe, there is minimal transfer with either med, monitor your infant for vomiting and diarrhea. Mothers with lesions on the areola or nipple should not breastfeed on the affected side. Other contiguous lesions should be thoroughly covered while breastfeeding. Vicodin is also probably compatible, only 2.2-3.7% of your dose transfers into breast milk, wait 2 hours to breastfeed after a dose and do not exceed 40mg in 24 hours. Monitor your infant for sedation, poor feedings, slowed breathing rate, apnea and constipation. Vicodin is ok to breastfeed with since it is used with C-section mothers with newborn infants, your infant is older and not likely to experience these side effects.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    ​806-352-2519
    Last edited by admin; 03-29-2016, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X