Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bipolar 2 and Breastfeeding

Hello,

I have bipolar 2 and seem to be having some issues with my medications.
    Prior to getting pregnant is was on:
    Lithium 600mg
    Lamectal 300mg
    Abiify 2mg
    Effexor (I forget the dose, but it was the lowest)
    Atarax as needed for anxiety

When I got pregnant they switched my medication to
    Seroquel 150mg
    Wellbutrin 150mg

These meds have been working alright. My older meds were better, but I've been managing okay with these. The seroquel was really knocking me out, which was hard when my daughter was a newborn, but I survived.

She's 7 months old now and I've been having major anxiety and quick anger. My doctor doesn't seem to understand the severity of it or how badly it affects me. I'm in the process of switching doctors. He's prescribed me 20mg of celexa, which I'm afraid to take because of the weight gain. I also worried about adding another medication and waiting the few weeks to see if it works. He gave me hydroyzine, which really didn't do much. I would have to take it daily for it to work. I've heard that that isn't a good idea while nursing. I found the 25mg x twice a day did help. He also gave me .5mg of Ativan. I took those for two days and found a huge relief. I split the pill and only took half, once in the early morning and half in the early evening.

I think my anxiety and anger might be a side effect of the Wellbutrin, but I'm afraid of switching medication right now and having something that doesn't work or makes my situation worse.

My question, would it be terrible to take the Ativan for a little while while I add in a different anti anxiety med, like Zoloft?

I want to keep things as safe as possible for my daughter, but need some relief.

She's eating 3 meals a day and nursing quite a bit less, which could also be causing me a drop in hormones.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Littlehead; 09-21-2015, 07:14 AM.

Littlehead,

Ativan is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into milk is 2.6-2.9% of your dose. Ativan is probably ok at low doses as long as she is not symptomatic. Monitor the infant for s[COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]edation, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the infant risk center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Hello,

I went to my doctor today and they have refused to give me anything for my anxiety but Zoloft. It was extremely frustrating because they treated me like I was drug seeking for saying that the Ativan worked well. She gave me more seroquel 25mg to take as needed for anxiety, which I am already on. I tried it tonight and it just made me tired. I'm hoping to find a new doctor soon. I really feel like I am suffering and not being taken seriously about it.

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder in the past.

Comment

Working...
      X