Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amalgam filling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Amalgam filling

    Hi I had a filling replaced today because there was some decay around the old one. I think it was a silver filling but I can’t remember. The new one is resin. The dentist knew I was breastfeeding and said it was fine. Now I’m reading that amalgam fillings should not be replaced while breastfeeding due to risk of mercury exposure. I’m nursing a 13 month old who is on iron drops for low hemoglobin but is otherwise healthy. He’s still nurses quite a bit. Now I’m stressed out and don’t know if I need to stop. I would really hate to do that. I love breastfeeding and so does he. Please advise.

  • #2
    Midwestmommy:

    There is some risk associated with transfer of mercury from replacement of mercury amalgam silver fillings. I'd suggest you call your Dentist and ask if this was a "mercury amalgam" he removed. If so, I'd suggest you avoid breastfeeding for a day or so. If you have already started feeding, then I would not worry about it too much. Mercury does have a long half life but not like lead and you will eventually clear your body of any absorbed mercury.

    Just find out from your Dentist and inform him it is not acceptable to removed these mercury amalgams without dental masking, and significant vacuum to remove smoke, or volatized mercury or other debri from the oral cavity in order to reduce exposure of the breastfeeding (or even non breastfeeding mom) to mercury.

    Tom Hale Ph.D.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for your response. I just heard back and it was a amalgam filling that was replaced. He said that they used high speed suctioning and that should eliminate exposure. They did not use the masking. Unfortunately I already breastfed my son. I will try and stop for the rest of the day. Is there anything I should watch my infant for?
      Last edited by midwestmommy; 04-27-2022, 02:41 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well at least they used high speed suction, which should have eliminated "most" but not all mercury. I'm sure your infant is just fine. There is nothing to 'monitor' for at all.

        Tom Hale

        Comment

        Working...
        X
        Muğla Escort Aydın Escort Çanakkale Escort Balıkesir Escort