No announcement yet.

Methyl alcohol

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Methyl alcohol

    I had to clean up a windshield wiper fluid spill in my vehicle and it went on my hands. It is made from methyl alcohol. I could feel it disappearing off my hands as though it was soaking in or evaporating before I was able to wash it off. It took several back and forths with cleaning it and washing my hands but in total it wasn't on there long. I see online that it's poisonous when absorbed in the skin. Is there any problem with breastfeeding? I'm certainly not experiencing any side effects personally from this small exposure, but I know lots of things transfer to breast milk. Thank you for your time.

  • #2

    I don't see any problem with breastfeeding, particularly since it was some hours prior that you were exposed. Most methanol ends up in the adult liver where it is metabolized rapidly.

    It shouldn't be any problem for your infant.

    Tom Hale Ph.D.