Unknown Tickborn illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Tickborn illness

Currently in hospital for suspected tick born disease (and Mastitis) I’ve had a bad week. Doctors have stated it’s not safe to breastfeed and I need to pump and dump until the course of these meds are out of my system. A maternity nurse contradicted them and gave me your contact. Is it really necessary? Don’t want to put my LO at risk (she’s 7 weeks old) but also don’t want to pump and dump if it’s safe to feed her.

I’m on the following combination
    atrovaquone (mepron) 750mg/ 5mL 2daily
    IV azithromycin 500mg 1xday
    doxycycline monohydraye (monodox) 100mg/ 2x day

as needed I’m prescribed
    Zofran 4mg (haven’t taken any yet)
    Motrin
    potassium replacement

yesterday I was also on (but now off)
    cleridanmycin 600mg
    IV ceftrixone (rocephin) 1gm

thanks in advance

NursingMama2,

These medications are probably ok for short term use. We recommend not using doxycycline more than 3 weeks as with prolonged use could cause teeth discoloration and impaired bone growth. Monitor your infant for possible side effects such as vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush with the antibiotics, and for atrovaquone, monitor for insomnia, weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, decreased feeding/poor weight gain. If clinical signs of jaundice check liver enzymes or if ongoing infection check CBC. Zofran probably ok for short term use, monitor for sedation, irritability, diarrhea or constipation, urinary retention. Motrin and potassium ok, do not exceed 2400mg in 24 hours of Motrin.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X