Celestone, Lidocaine, Proprofal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestone, Lidocaine, Proprofal

Hi, I have a 3 week old baby at home, I injured my tail bone at birth (the pain is severe) and is recommended I receive injections to fix the issue.
    They are recommended I be put to sleep (twilight) with proprofal, and get injections of lidocaine (1% anesthetic), and celestone (steroid). The doctor is saying wait 3-5 days before breastfeeding again and pump and dump in the meantime. But I am so worried that I'll lose the breastfeeding relationship with my newborn. Also, my doctor made a call to his friend, an anesthesiologist, and asked him how long I should wait before breastfeeding (with the proprofal), and he said 24-36 hours, so then he changed the time for the injections to 24-36 (not the 3-5 days). So what is correct, and what is safe?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Kirby24; 08-02-2018, 12:14 PM.

Kirby24,

Propofol is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. "One time usage is probably safe in breastfeeding. From the data currently available, it is apparent that only minimal amounts of propofol are transferred to human milk. No data are available on the oral absorption of propofol. Propofol is rapidly cleared from the neonatal circulation." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). We would recommend waiting about 4 hours after your procedure and as long as you are fully awake at that time you could continue to nurse, if you are still feeling the effects of the medication wait until they pass to resume breastfeeding.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you, and the Celestone and Lidocaine are safe as well? To only have to wait 4 hours to breastfeed?

Comment

Kirby24,

Yes they are ok also for a one time injection at 4 hours.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
        X