Fluconazole 800mg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluconazole 800mg

I was prescribed fluconazole 800 mg daily for a serious fungal infection that will not go away despite normal treatment. I am breastfeeding a 16 month old baby. Is it okay to still breastfeed on this high doseage?

Ericcaahh,

We do not recommend high doses of fluconazole especially for long term use as it can be hepatotoxic. The amount that transfers into breast milk si 16-21% of your dose, and it has a long half-life of 30 hours.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Can someone call me please, I can't get through when I call the hotline. It just rings indefinitely. I have further questions.
      760-902-4397

Comment

I was nursing her on 300mg fluconazole for about 10 days before my doctor stopped the medication due to me not responding to the treatment. This was about a month ago. Is that a long enough time/dose for me to be concerned about her and take her to the Doctor? She has no symptoms of anything wrong.

Comment

Ericcaahh,

No 10 days would be considered short term even though your dose was a little high than the normal 150-200mg.

Sandra

Comment

Working...
          X