Breastfeeding and multiple antibiotics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding and multiple antibiotics

I was seen in the ER for a foot injury yesterday and was prescribed 2 weeks of doxycycline hyclate (100mg BID), 2 weeks of clindamycin hcl (300mg Q8), and ibuprofen-800 (as needed for pain). The ER doctor said I cannot breastfeed while on the antibiotics. I’m close to weaning but my 15-month-old isn’t quite ready yet. From what I saw on lactmed and infantrisk it may be ok for the short term, but wasn’t sure given the combination. Please inform. Thank you!

Laur1583,

Clindamycin is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 0.9-1.8% of your dose. We think it is ok to nurse for short term use as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

Doxycycline is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 4.2-13.3% of your dose. Treatment up to 3 weeks is ok as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

Taking 2 antibiotics at once may slightly increase the risk of GI upset or thrush.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X