Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botox

Hello,

Please can you offer the most recently research regarding Botox and breastfeeding? I have had 30 units injected into my forehead this morning and my dermatologist didn’t mention nursing which I am currently doing!

Barroness,

Botox is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. "When used in the form of Botox, and injected properly, it is extremely unlikely to ever enter the plasma or milk compartment. A brief interruption of a few hours to ascertain that none has entered the plasma would all but eliminate any possible complications in a breastfeeding mother. Further, because this product is so large, it would have an extremely difficult time entering the milk compartment." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). Do not exceed 360 units in a 3 month period. Monitor your infant for weakness, difficulty breathing, GI distress.

In a single case report, a breastfeeding woman poisoned by botulism toxin continued to breastfeed her infant throughout her illness. Her milk was tested and was free of botulinum toxin or C. botulinum bacteria. "The infant showed no symptoms of poisoning. It is apparent from this case that neither botulinum bacteria, nor the toxin is secreted in breastmilk." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD).

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

L3-no data-probably compatible’

Comment

What does the above mean?

The single case report you mentioned, what year was this published?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Working...
        X