Wisdom Tooth Surgery & Med Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisdom Tooth Surgery & Med Safety

I have a baby who will be 11 months old at the time of my upcoming Wisdom Tooth Extraction and is still nursing several times per day but does go 12 hours at night with no feeding. I have received very conflicting information regarding how long to wait after the procedure to safely nurse. I am hoping you can help me. My baby can drink out of a sippy cup and I have some expressed milk saved but if I am home he will want nursing vs sippy and I would rather that than pump/dump, as long as it is safe to do so. Here are the situations/meds I need advice on:

1) General Anesthesia - for the procedure I will be under General - how long after the general is it safe to nurse?

2) Pain Management - hoping to stay off of the prescribed Pain meds but there are the options:
    A: Alternate the max doses of Ibuprofen (2400mg/day) with max dose of Acetaminophen (3000mg/day) - is this safe to nurse on this schedule?
    B: Use max dose of Ibuprofen (2400mg/day) with prescribed hydrocodone as needed - is this safe to nurse on?

3) If needed Amoxicillin will be prescribed - is this safe for my nursing baby?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Kt808,

1) We recommend waiting 4 hours to nurse after general anesthesia.

2) A. Yes 2400mg of ibuprofen is probably ok, less than 1% transfers into breast milk, and Tylenol 3000mg is probably ok in a 24 hour period 6-24% transfers into breast milk.
    B. Hydrocodone is probably ok if you do not exceed 30-40mg in 24 hours and wait 2-3 hours to nurse after a dose. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.2-3.7% of your dose. Monitor your infant for
    sedation, slowed breathing rate, apnea, poor feedings, pallor and constipation.

3) Amoxicillin is probably ok, only 0.95% transfers into breast milk. Take it after nursing and monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-3552-2519

Comment

Working...
    X