Plavix and Aspirin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plavix and Aspirin

I am going for a brain surgery on Dec 11 starting this coming Monday I am required to start a Plavix and aspirin routine for the next 4 months at which point I will drop the Plavix and be on aspirin for life. I understand that aspirin metabolizes quickly and is virtually non-transferable after about 2-3 hours but was wondering if the implications of Plavix have been determined. I understand it’s an L3 drug but if I were to wait to nurse 2-3 hours after taking both meds would you say the benefits of nursing outweigh the risks at that point? I’m saddened at the thought of losing my breastfeeding relationship with my 5 month old daughter.

darcismith,

That is correct, if you wait 2-3 hours after taking aspirin virtually all aspirin transfer is gone. Plavix is still an L3-no data-probably compatible. It peaks in 1 hour and half the medication is out in 8 hours. Waiting 2-3 hours will reduce the amount of medication your infant is exposed to, so as long as your infant is not symptomatic you could continue to nurse, monitor for any unusual bruising or bleeding.

This is an earlier post:

"Plavix is a drug that inhibits platelet function, thus it reduces the initiating factor in clotting. It works somewhat like Aspirin.
    We do not at this time have any data on its transfer to breastfeeding infants.
    The only complication would be an increase in "clotting time", thus the infant could have a bleeding problem.

I personally don't think this will happen, but we have no data on it yet.

Tom Hale Ph.D."

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X