Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domperidone interaction with Aripiprazole

Hello,

I was referred here by my lactation consultant in search of information regarding the effectiveness of Domperidone in negating the effects of Abilify on milk production. I had a trouble free vaginal child birth with no anesthetic and the placenta was fully and unproblematically delivered. Our baby latched well from birth but on the third day of life she was inconsolable and our pediatrician saw that her weight had dropped below the recommended percentage and asked if we would consider supplementing. After consuming a bottle of formula baby was immediately happier and we realized I had a supply problem.

On baby's sixth day of life I met with our first lactation consultant who agreed there were no obvious causes for low supply but encouraged pumping and continuing to put baby to the breast. I began a routine of pumping eight times a day. Three days later this had produced no positive results. Pumping extracted very small amounts of colostrum but no milk. We were referred to the second consultant to check prolactin levels. On baby's 11th day of life before pumping my prolactin levels were 13.9. A thyroid screen as well as general blood work was ordered and everything came back normal.

This led the lactaction consultant to determine the culprit is Abilify. I take 10 mg daily of Abilify and 150 mg of Wellbutrin.

I asked the consultant about Domperidone and she said she had seem it be effective in many circumstances but did not know if it would be worth trying in my case or if there were any reason to be concerned about drug-drug interactions with either Abilify or Wellbutrin.

So that is my question: Do you think Domperidone might override the negative effects on milk production of Abilify and are there any safety concerns in taking these drugs together?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!

ENIAC,

The Abilify has a major drug to drug interaction with the domperidone, it may increase moms QT intervals. Most of the atypical antipsychotics interact with the domperidone, but I spoke with Dr Hale about this he suggested that maybe mom could switch from Abilify to risperidone and that may help increase her prolactin levels alone without domperidone. This is only a suggestion, mom would need to discuss this with her Dr.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X